From the Colorado Area Health Education Center Program, University of
Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus and Department of Family Medicine
Training for Primary Care Clinicians
This site provides physicians with self-paced training on colon cancer prevention to include lower GI
endoscopy, colonoscopy, colon biopsy, and polypectomy. The training you can access from here is part of a
curriculum developed by the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus Colorado AHEC Program in
partnership with the Department of Family Medicine that includes simulated hands-on experience with a
flexible endoscopy simulator.
The original training program was funded by a grant from the Colorado Department of Public Health and
Environment Amendment 35 Cancer Cardiovascular Pulmonary Disease Prevention Program.
This training course includes online didactic course work and onsite simulated hands-on experience with a
flexible endoscopy computerized simulator.
Upon viewing the chapters on this site and completing the quiz, you should be able to do the following:
- Describe the clinical presentation and epidemiology of colorectal cancer;
- Given a description of a patient, apply current guidelines to recommend screening or not;
- Given an endoscopic image, differentiate common colon lesions, including non cancerous polyps, neoplams, and inflammatory lesions; and,
- Describe the operation of flexible sigmoidoscope and the limitations of flexible endoscopy in terms of ability to view the colon.
Overall Program Activities
Register and send payment for the course. The course fee is $500 for Primary Care Clinicians.
Payment should be mailed to:
Colorado AHEC Program
Attn: Endoscopy Course Director
13120 E 19th Avenue, MS-F433
Aurora, CO 80045
Checks should be made out to: Colorado AHEC Program
Note: The fee is waived for University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus Fourth Year Medical Students enrolled in
the FMMD 8011 Elective and Colorado Medical Residency Program.
Once payment is received, the participant will receive automated email that will include the website link
and a course code so participants may begin the online didactic course work.
- Make arrangements with firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule your simulation experience dates and times.
- Complete the online didactic sessions, including the pre-image survey and pre-test.
- Complete the simulator experience. A completed Simulator Record Form must be submitted to Joseph Martinez by
either faxing to 303.724.0891 or emailing a scanned document to email@example.com.
- Obtain proctored endoscopy experiences as noted in the Course Checklist.
- Click on Proctoring Certification Statement
- Complete the post-test, post-image survey and evaluation.
- Email Joseph Martinez. that you have completed all the course work requirements.
- A Certificate of Completion will be mailed to you.
Criteria for Completion
- This learning module consists of several chapters. You must view all chapters and complete the image identification test with a score of 95% or higher to receive credit for successfully completing the learning module.
- Complete all 34 endoscopy simulation cases and submit the Simulation Record form.
- Complete the 50 Proctoring experiences (if applicable)
- Complete online Certification Statement
- Complete Evaluation
Copyright 2002-2003 - University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus
Department of Family Medicine
Online diadict page initially developed by Mark Deutchman M.D.
Contact web designer